Luzerne County councilman
Official results show that our campaign was the top vote winner for the primary election.
Thank you to county Republicans for again putting your trust in me. My goal is to continue
to serve residents from all political persuasions and communities of Luzerne County.
Visit the "Contact Us" page for ways to support our campaign for the November election.
Much appreciation, Harry
Councilman Harry Haas
Thanks for dropping by! Here are my priorities and action steps for this year:
1) Continue to look for streams of revenue apart from property taxation (84% of county revenues come from property tax, which is inherently unfair) and cut wasteful spending.
THERE WILL NOT BE A TAX INCREASE IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET BECAUSE OF THE SURPLUS GAINED BY TOUGH DECISIONS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS...CLICK FOR NEWS ARTICLE HERE.
2) Host legislative round tables for our state and federal delegations to communicate county needs.
THE LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE MET WITH WITH OUR US SENATORS & CONGRESSSMEN IN AUGUST.
3) Equip the Blighted Property Review Committee to assist municipalities in fighting blight.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS SET TO LAUNCH IN OCTOBER.
4) Refinance the remaining variable rate debt by restoring our bond rating.
COUNCIL VOTED TO REFINANCE AT THE SEPTEMBER 12 MEETING.
5) Collaborate with other counties to fight the opioid crisis, spur economic development, and share costs of human services.
ATTENDED ANNUAL COUNTY COMMISSIONERS' CONFERENCE IN AUGUST WHERE I LEARNED ABOUT SOME GRANT OPPORTUNITIES AND STRATEGIES FOR THESE ISSUES.