Luzerne County councilman
Councilman Harry Haas
Thank you voters of Luzerne County for electing me to one more term on the county council.
I pledge to equip the government we have in order to deliver county services; however, I will
fight against growing the government that we don't need. During this budget season I will
continue to suggest budget cuts to avoid the proposed tax increase.
Here are my priorities and action steps for this year:
1) Continue to look for streams of revenue apart from property taxation (84% of county revenues come from property tax, which is inherently unfair) and cut wasteful spending.
I DO NOT SUPPORT THE MANAGER'S PROPOSED 2% TAX INCREASE. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A TAX INCREASE IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET BECAUSE OF THE SURPLUS GAINED BY TOUGH DECISIONS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS...CLICK FOR NEWS ARTICLE HERE.
2) Host legislative round tables for our state and federal delegations to communicate county needs.
THE LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE MET WITH WITH OUR US SENATORS & CONGRESSSMEN IN AUGUST.
3) Equip the Blighted Property Review Committee to assist municipalities in fighting blight.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS SET TO LAUNCH IN OCTOBER...CLICK HERE FOR NEWS ARTICLE
4) Refinance the remaining variable rate debt by restoring our bond rating.
COUNCIL VOTED TO REFINANCE AT THE SEPTEMBER 12 MEETING, AND NOVEMBER'S REFINANCING PRODUCED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SAVINGS...CLICK HERE FOR NEWS ARTICLE
5) Collaborate with other counties to fight the opioid crisis, spur economic development, and share costs of human services.
ATTENDED ANNUAL COUNTY COMMISSIONERS' CONFERENCE IN AUGUST WHERE I LEARNED ABOUT SOME GRANT OPPORTUNITIES AND STRATEGIES FOR THESE ISSUES.